As you can see below, the defects were quite extensive and required some consideration on how to best approach the task at hand. It was decided that the most effective method to repair the damage before it worsened and caused any catastrophic failures, was to use hand applied repair methods.
- Identifying the affected areas, and removing the surrounding concrete from the rebars
- Cleaning rust off the rebars to prevent further corrosion.
- Prime the rebars in order to prevent oxidisation from occurring again in the future.
- Patch the affected areas back up with sufficiently suitable concrete to make the slab whole again.
- Re render and paint to apply the desired finish.
Below are some pictures of this process.